CHURCH PLANTING & FRANKLIN FARMS SCHOOLHOUSE
Calvary Baptist Church was founded in the spring of 1955 by Rev. T. Fred Wolfe under the auspices of the Broad Street Baptist Church of Washington, PA. Rev. Wolfe acted as Pastor of the new church which was a branch of the Broad Street Church. The former Gabby School was purchased from the North Franklin Township School District for the church. The church grew steadily and many improvements were made in the building, including new windows and a heating system.
A charter was applied for and presented to the Court of Common Pleas for approval on April 21, 1958. The court approved the incorporation under the non-profit laws of Pennsylvania. There were 35 charter members. At that time, the church affiliated with the Conservative Baptist Association, A call for a Pastor was issued and by unanimous vote, Rev. L. E. Rogers was chosen as Pastor. He began his ministry in November 1958.
When Pastor Rogers resigned in 1959 to accept a position in Florida, Rev. Robert Franklin was called. During his ministry, a mortgage burning ceremony was held. At this time, there were 50 members and five missionaries supported by the congregation. Rev. Franklin was pastor until May 28, 1964.
RIDGEWOOD DRIVE CAMPUS & GROWTH
Rev. Robert Westerburg accepted the call to assume the pastorate at this time. In 1965, approximately 11 acres were purchased on Tuttle Road in Washington (now called Ridgewood Drive). Groundbreaking services were held on June 1, 1969, with the Rev. T. Fred Wolfe, Rev. Robert Westerberg, Dr. Allen Lee, and Eugene Weddle participating. United Church Structures Inc., of Mount Clemens, Michigan, secured the contract for construction of the new building. Men of the Church did much of the work, including the plumbing, heating, and lighting. Rev. Westerberg resigned as Pastor to assume the pastorate at First Baptist Church in Mifflintown on October 5, 1969.
Dr. Allen Lee served as Interim Pastor until Rev. Eugene Lancaster accepted the call as Pastor and began his ministry in 1970. The new building was dedicated on Sunday, September 27, 1970. Rev. Lancaster served as Pastor of Calvary for 3 1/2 years, preaching his last service on September 2, 1973, when he accepted a call to serve a church in Flint, Michigan.
Dr. George Hall accepted the call to serve as Pastor on January 20, 1974 and served until 1985.
CAMPUS EXPANSION & BEYOND
On February 9, 1986, Rev. Fred W. McCloskey, Jr. was installed as Pastor, a position he holds to this day.
A bond burning ceremony was held on Sunday, September 23, 1990 during the Morning Service, thanking God for his provision of a debt-free church and parsonage, which had been constructed on the property in 1974.
The 40th Anniversary of the church was held during the Morning Worship Service on April 19, 1998, which was followed by the groundbreaking for the new multi-purpose room, library, kitchen, and additional classroom space. The multi-purpose room would later be named the "Wolfe Fellowship Center," in honor of founding Pastor, Rev. Fred Wolfe and his wife, Fern.
Calvary Baptist Church held an annual "Family Fun Fest" at the end of July through most of the 2000's, bringing hundreds of families onto the campus for music, food, games, and festivities. FFF was used as a kickoff to Vacation Bible School for several years, as well.
In 2021, the Church entered an agreement with Faith Christian School of Washington, PA to house the High School on the campus of the Church. Students from 7th to 12th grade attend classes daily on the church grounds.